Mads Mikkelsen Source
mobile version
Jan 17, 2015   Leave a Comment Article, Hannibal, News, Television

hitfix.com – “Hannibal” season 3 will be a little late for dinner — as in summer.

NBC executives had previously suggested that Bryan Fuller’s Hannibal Lecter prequel series would likely return very late in the season, and at press tour today, NBC entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt said it would actually be on in the summer.

“It’s a show we love,” Greenblatt said. “We love it. We also love summer,” noting that it would be part of a lineup that could also include David Duchovny chasing Charles Manson in “Aquarius” and Zachary Levi in “Heroes: Reborn.”

“It’s been critically acclaimed by a few of you in the room, if not many,” he added. (Technically, this may be true; “Hannibal” finished 12th overall in the HitFix Television Critics Poll, but with only votes from eight critics.)

Hannibal’s first season debuted late in spring, and the show wasn’t even renewed for a second until well past that year’s NBC upfront. So would a summer debut affect the feasibility of ordering future seasons? And given the unique financial arrangement NBC has for the show with Gaumont International, is there a lower ratings threshold for survival than a show produced by NBC’s own studio?

“Summer doesn’t affect the future of the seasons,” Greenblatt said after his executive session. “Deal-wise, it’s a great business deal for us, even at a low rating, which is why it’s been for as long as it has been.”

(“Hannibal” remains one of NBC’s lower-rated series, which is no doubt why they’re holding it for summer in favor of shows they hope will do better in-season.)

Comment Form